GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+2
Myloth
Gooched78Caprice
6 posters

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof

solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof - Page 2 Empty Re: 1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof

Post  solo79 Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Gooched78Caprice wrote:
    Sweet Seventy9 wrote:
    Gooched78Caprice wrote:<snip> Unfortunately, it does make it so I cannot use the original hook mount for the spare tire.

Bah, who needs a spare tire?  Spare tires are for wussies!  lol!

For now I'll have to agree…

This is the basic temporary set up for the next couple months.  Suspect

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof - Page 2 20150212

Heck, most new cars don't even come with a spare tire anymore.  If you want one, you have to ask for it.  I'm not usually likely to change a tire on the side of today's roads anyway, I'll just call triple A and have it towed to the house and fix it there in the safety of my driveway with a proper jack instead of those dinky, ready to fall on you any minute jacks you get with the car. Oh, and I would not recommend even using the bumper jacks on these cars as they can bend the frame. I've seen it happen.

The setup looks good!!!  That's kind of what I want to do is tuck everything out of sight.  If you do a "hidden" panel over all of that, make sure you vent the compressors somehow.  They don't like to be in confined spaces.  Definitely post a thread on the install.  I'm looking forward to seeing how you install it since I'm not even near that point yet on mine.  Looks great!!
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof - Page 2 Empty Re: 1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof

Post  Gooched78Caprice Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:29 pm

solo79 wrote:  I'm looking forward to seeing how you install it since I'm not even near that point yet on mine.  Looks great!!

I was sitting at work trying to multitask while looking at another forum...  No    

I was working extremely hard at work and when I was able to take a quick break I was online reading about 42" and 44" holes in roofs and a mention of drain holes....   Twisted Evil  

Have I found the answer for my air line holes? We will find out tonight....
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:01 pm

OK, I'm baffled. 42" and 44" holes in roofs ?? For the skyroofs?

Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:21 pm

solo79 wrote:If you do a "hidden" panel over all of that, make sure you vent the compressors somehow.  They don't like to be in confined spaces.

That sounded like great advice so I used it. I turned the compressors around on their board to help the intakes breathe in to the larger area of the trunk space and not into just the back corner. I also re-mounted the Ridepro ECU to better conceal some of the wiring.

*Warning* If/when you remove the 2 main electrical connections to the ECU be careful since they are extremely tight. I learned the hard way and snapped the little plastic piece on the male end that the white retaining clips on the female end are made to latch on to. The good news is that they are also so tight you can't pull them off unless you apply a good amount of force even with the little clip snapped off, I still had to slide in a little screw driver to wedge it out safely and this was after it snapped off.

back story:
    I did make a call to Ridetech Friday 2/20 to ask, "why so tight?" I've never had close to this type of difficulty removing a plastic connection, weatherproof or not. Gave a last good tug of the middle connection while on the phone with Ridetech and that's when the darn thing pulled off with a slight snapping sound. A little piece of plastic broke and the over phone diagnosis/explanation was that they normally pull out the white tabs anyway that hold them in. I can at least say I do see why they would remove the white clips that help hold these in now even though that explanation had me scratching my head a little. I guess if the ECU was installed in a place that was not easily accessible it would be darn near impossible to remove the two big wire plugs running to it without removing these white tabs. I just wish I would have known this beforehand and I would have done so and saved myself from snapping it off as well. I guess this must be just one of those insiders knowledge/experience things at Ridetech that they secretly know  Suspect  since it was made to sound like an obvious solution, so I just figured I would share the experience. lol!

Overall, from my experience if you want to take the next step up from a basic stereo install I think wiring this is just slightly more thought intensive but with all the same basic understanding. I've enjoyed figuring out the best way possible to get this wired for my uses and Ridetech makes an amazing plug and play system, except for the small issue noted above. Now on to the fun part... tearing down and building back up with the new suspension upgrades over the next week, more pics to follow. Fingers crossed we'll be on the road this weekend!
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics

lol!

solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:32 pm

What Sweet said! Pics!  We must have pics! I've always wondered about the air ride wiring.  I have completely wired a 10 switch box from scratch a few times for hydraulics and then wired it to the pumps so I figure if I can do that, I should be able to handle it.
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:06 am

solo79 wrote:What Sweet said! Pics!  We must have pics! I've always wondered about the air ride wiring.  I have completely wired a 10 switch box from scratch a few times for hydraulics and then wired it to the pumps so I figure if I can do that, I should be able to handle it.

Solo79 I guarantee you'd have no problem with these set ups. With Ridetech it's one constant, ground and an ignition wire for ECU to run everything and then the pumps are wired to battery + & - and done. It's just figuring out the best possible way to do it that takes the most time.

Now If can just get my lower rear plates in to install my rears I'd be about 24 hours away from completion.

Here's a couple update photo's I took last night just to show a quick peek even though it's in early mock up stage while I'm not too patiently waiting for my last pieces to come in.

Now that I've found the right grommets I'll rerun the air lines and fix the busted up ones. First ones I bought were too soft of rubber and tore the grommet up just running the air line through. New ones are a lot more dense almost plastic feeling and worked way better second time around. Can anyone tell were this location is?

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof - Page 2 Cap111

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof - Page 2 Cap211

Still far from finished but a little better idea of how it's being ran. Thanks for the idea to switch the pumps around Solo.  Wink  

1978 Caprice Landau w/ skyroof - Page 2 Cap311
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:36 am

Gooched78Caprice wrote:Can anyone tell were this location is?

From the looks of it, I'd have to say they're somewhere under the car.  Laughing

Shoot, ya got me baffled!
    Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Sweet Seventy9 wrote:
    From the looks of it, I'd have to say they're somewhere under the car.  Laughing

Shoot, ya got me baffled!

Hint: Its the exact same airline holes in the pics. One's from inside the car and the other is underneath. tongue
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:26 pm

I'll take a stab at it. Looks like rear passenger back seat floor pan near the floor pan brace that runs between the body mounts. Did I win???

Gooched78Caprice
    Gooched78Caprice
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Gooched78Caprice Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:53 pm

solo79 wrote:

I'll take a stab at it.  Looks like rear passenger back seat floor pan near the floor pan brace that runs between the body mounts.  Did I win???

cheers
    Stabbed and killed it!

You win your choice of either a busted 1978 caprice grill or a pair of old, scratched up chrome interior door handle inserts. You just pay s&h.  Laughing

I have just removed the front tire so I'll start getting  pics up for the install thread. In the next day or two.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Solo has insider information!!!   He's in the process of re-doing his floors!  I demand a recount!  The busted grill should be mine! Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:06 am